Message from the CEO
Our strategy is to grow and achieve the scale that will allow us to invest in areas like retirement and advice, so you don’t have to choose between doing well financially and doing good in the world.
It’s been a challenging time for many of our clients, especially those in emergency services, protection services and healthcare, who have protected and supported our communities through the bushfires. I want to pay tribute to your tireless and inspirational work. It is truly an honour to serve you and all our clients.
We’re also committed to doing well for you, and believe when it comes to superannuation, you shouldn’t have to choose between doing well financially and doing good in the world.
2019 was a very strong year for investment markets, with the ASX 300 recording its best year in a decade. I’m also proud of the positive impact we’ve had on the community with our investments.
- Over $160 million invested in affordable housing for key workers, close to health and education precincts.
- The Sydney Light Rail, which is now open, and such a significant piece of infrastructure.
- The NSW Police Aviation facility being built at Bankstown Airport, which will provide a first-class police aviation wing for PolAir, part of the NSW Police Force.
The bushfire crisis also brought climate change into focus and we positively integrate environmental, social and governance (ESG) principles across our investment portfolios.
- Developing an internal system for incorporating responsible investing factors into our investments, which awarded us the UN-backed Principles of Responsible Investing ESG Incorporation Initiative of the Year award.
- Investing directly in Snowtown 2, an operational windfarm in South Australia.
- Owning the largest US recycling bottle to bottle plant.
- Investing over $2 billion dollars in clean energy and renewals.
The integration last year of StatePlus with First State Super means you now have access to one, streamlined advice service. You can now go online, speak to a planner over the phone, or meet in person about retirement and aged care, to prepare a will, or manage your insurance needs. A range of seminars and training partnerships are also available to enhance your financial wellbeing.
A big, exciting year ahead
I’m pleased to confirm that our merger with VicSuper will go ahead from 1 July 2020, making us one of Australia’s largest super funds, with over $125 billion funds under management and over 1.1 million members.
We’re committed to providing you with high-quality investment solutions for your retirement and our increased size and scale will allow us to access even more investment opportunities and help to drive down costs overall.
The goals of our members, the needs of our communities and the impact of our investments is what drives us. I look forward to continuing to serve you, our valued members.
Chief Executive Officer